Sunday, June 10, 2012

A ram by Zodiac, a scavenger by profession

Driving out of DC, I saw the Washington Times headquarters--usually full of canaries--a tan building with the Gothic old English font hanging huge on the side. The building wasn't in downtown DC, but instead on the outskirts in the northeast section of town.
When I was searching for places to call my own at the group house of nine, I found a two bedroom, one bath for $725 in Anacostia. My roommate, the politico, one of many, said, "Hell no." I was told to stay out of the eastern areas of the city.
Anacostia is known for being on of the worst parts of town, although I can't speak on it since I haven't been... yet. It's an area in the southeast, pretty close to the Washington Times building.
The hood seems a strange place for such a big newspaper. Although the Times has lost money every year since it's inception, its founder seems willing to spend money to make no money.

I got on the highway around 12:30 PM, and before hitting traffic in 97 degree weather with my air conditioning giving out, I saw a three vultures circling in the air over a dense tree line. When vultures smell, hear or see an animal close to the end they circle, watching, waiting for the woodland creature to finally slump over and exhale its last. They're almost taunting their fellow brutes below. The site of the reaper is hard to transcend. These feathered dinosaur ancestors inhabit the treacherous terrain, and the anticipation of death may seem grotesque--alas vultures do have a bad rep.

Scavengers...



2 comments:

  1. Not to quibble but Anacostia is in SouthEast. The Times building is in NorthEast. :)

    ReplyDelete